PDA

View Full Version : Old Bill Jones

Phil
11-11-2011, 02:17 AM
OK. I need help. Heard a song by this title the other day. Not sure of the artist. I believe his last name was Cochran.
Nice old ballad, and I thought perhaps Canadian song, but I could be mistaken there.
At the end of the song he shot his old team of horses and died in the blizzard.

Would like to find an mp3 for this, if possible.
When I mentioned the title to my sister, then she remembered the line about shooting the horses. So I did not imagine it.
Any help appreciated.

Phil

sparky
11-11-2011, 02:48 AM
found
Old Bill Jones by Clint Griffeth
it's about a town drunk no horses mention in this song you hear a banjo playing

Phil
11-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Not it. That seems to be what I keep coming up with also. Thanks for the help.Will have to check with Sis as she MIGHT have it on cassette.

I heard this on GALAXIE Country Classics. Quite sure of the title, but not artist name. Last name of Cochran is definite but could be misspelled.

Phil

Phil
11-12-2011, 02:37 AM
OK. I did some research. Sis in British Columbia said also done by George Hamilton IV. This is true. He did a 3 disc album called My North Country Home. I guess all covers of Canadian artists.
However, this song was written and recorded by DON COCHRANE, who is a Canadian from Ontario.
Can't see it on youtube yet, but if someone finds this, I am very interested.
Phil

Gary W
11-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Phil, I could not find any recording of it by Don Cochrane. I did find the sound clip of it by George Hamilton IV (whom you mentioned above). I wrote out the words from the clip.

…………………………………………..… Manitoba farm
Spent his younger life tryin’ to make a living
On a quarter section there hmm-hmm-hmm
Hmmm-hmm-hmm-hmm

Billy Jones (Billy Jones) why do you live this way
Those prairie winds and northern storms will kill you one of these days
The wind blew through the one room shack Billy called his home

I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Phil
11-12-2011, 10:38 PM
I did get a 30 sec. sound clip of Don Cochrane. Just enough to tempt a person. I will post if I manage to snag this mp3.
Phil

Phil
11-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Nobody?? I have seldom been disappointed on this forum. I have even tried youtube & itunes.

Phil

sparky
11-16-2011, 01:04 AM
Phil
it is not on bearshare

Phil
11-16-2011, 01:50 AM
sparky, thanks. I cannot get connected with bearshare lately. But I only have the free version.

Phil

Gary W
11-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Phil, Rune sent me the song by George Hamilton IV. He could not find it by Don Cochrane.

I'll send it to you and Sparky.

Phil
11-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Much appreciated Gary. Imitation is better than none. Sis said George did a good version.

sparky
11-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Gary W very much appreciated

Gary W
11-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Phil, Don Cochrane was kind enough to send me his recording. It is a really nice song!
He asked me to pass it along so I have sent it to you.
Sparky, I will send it to you also.

sparky
11-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks Gary W very much appreciated

Phil
11-24-2011, 11:28 PM
Again, thanks Gary. I will send a message to Don.

Phil