PDA

View Full Version : A christmas song to you

Gary W
11-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Hey gang,
I was messing around with my guitar the other day and decided to try to do an instrumental version of Silent Night.
I have a little Yamaha MT-50 4 track recorder. It is old technology now and records on cassette tapes (remember them, lol).

Anyhow, I plugged in my Washburn DM2000SCE and recorded the main melody as it is in my head along with a simple drum beat from my Casio keyboard.
Then I played that back and added some chording, etc.
Then I played that back and added a bit of bass with my Yamaha RBX260.
Finally I converted it to a digital recording.

I hope you enjoy it. Keep in mind I am old and have arthritis in my fingers, so cut me a bit of slack, lol.

To download it, click on this link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/f6lixj
If you see Regular Download, click on it.
Click on: click here to start download from sendspace
Just ignore the ads.

Phil
11-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Very, very nice! You impressed me !

Phil

Gary W
11-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks Phil, Arthritis did the main part. lol

bassy9
11-24-2011, 11:54 PM
I am sure you and my husband have the same tract of mind - he has been playing an instrumental version of Silent Night [among other tunes] for the last two weeks [on his Les Paul Epiphone] and trying out different chord progressions - unfortunately not recorded. Fred also has a problem of Muscular Myopathy wherein he has lost a lot of his muscles, particularly in his hands, and getting back in to his guitar playing after 20 years [whilst now trying to teach me Bass in the last 12 months], seems to be good therapy, but still has some trouble with bar chords due to lack of strength, but has compensated this with a different style of playing, which he claims is more pleasing to the ear.

Gary W
11-25-2011, 12:05 AM
I learned most of my bar chords in a bar, lol.

bassy9
11-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Very nice - Fred does his version in the key of A [that allows him to get to the lowest note E and the high A on the 17th fret E string] - Fred says for a 'pair of old crocs' you two aren't doing too bad - a pity that you can't get together. Ever thought of holidaying in Australia [Queensland in particular] - Fred doesn't travel too much these days, he is visually impaired and no longer can read music [although I must say as long as I have known him [40 years] he has always played by ear. Someone asked him one day, if he could read music, and he told them, yes, but not enough to affect his playing.

bassy9
11-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the tip, if he can afford to, he will follow your advice

Gary W
11-25-2011, 12:30 AM
Bassy9, I am the same way. I play 99% of the time by ear. I can read music very slowly. The song would be over before I got a measure in. I can read tablature but seldom use it.
I just get the tune in my head and go for it. If I hit some really crappy notes or wrong chords I just remember not to hit them again, lol.

If I ever find myself in Australia (which is unlikely) I will give you a shout.

sparky
11-25-2011, 02:45 AM
Gary W
Instrumental version of Silent Night very nice

reddevils
11-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Hi Gary, sorry mate I was unable to download it and was wondering if yo could possibly send me an mp3.

Best regards reddevils.

Gary W
11-25-2011, 07:45 PM
reddevils, Sent. Cheers!

reddevils
11-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks Gary, Well Britain has talent, America's got talent. Does Canada have talent, You bet Well done Gary I expect to see you on Tv
in the very near future. You'll probably win Canada's got talent.

redevils

bassy9
11-26-2011, 08:30 PM
What's wrong with Australia's Got Talent

Gary W
11-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Reddevils, If they had a tv show called "Old Farts Talent Attempt", you might see me there. LOL
Thanks for your kind words. Much appreciated! You have encouraged me to try another one. I will see what I can do with "Silver Bells".

Bassy9, Australia has some of the best musicians around. Ain't that right mate! (Is it okay refer to a lady as "mate" in Australia?)

woodman
11-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Gary,

Bravo!!!! You did Silent Night superbly. My hats off to you.

Woodman

Gary W
11-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Woodman, Thanks! I appreciate that.

Phil
08-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Gary W
If and when you attempt SILVER BELLS then I want a copy. But if you post it to the download site I will try that. I enjoy saying, "My friend did that". We are all friends, right?
But yeah, I think you are good. And I would like to hear more.
Phil

Gary W
08-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Friends we are Phil. I did attempt Silver Bells and Good King Wenceslas (I did GKW in a bluegrass sort of style). I used my keyboard to give a little drumbeat.
I'll send them to you and hope they don't turn off your Christmas spirit, lol.
I also wrote a parody of Old Lang Syne that I titled Old Cheap Wine. I'll send you that too.

sparky
08-11-2013, 02:56 AM
Gary W
If you don't mind send them this way also would like to hear them
Your good

Gary W
08-11-2013, 04:01 PM
sparky, They are on the way. Enjoy, or NOT. LOL

sparky
08-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks Gary W I enjoy listening to them you got talent

Phil
08-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Well I did enjoy them Gary. And thanks very much for sending them to me.

Phil