PDA

View Full Version : bluegrass state of mind

dockofoed
04-27-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm a newbie to the site, but can see its value already.
Very amateur mandolin player, taking it up at an advanced age is not helping !
Anyhow, if anyone has the chords or tabs for the song "Bluegrass State of Mind" ie Billy Ray Cyrus, it would be most appreciated.
Ken

Gary W
04-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Hi dockofoed,
I have the mp3 and lyrics. When I get a chance I'll strum along and see what I can come up with for the chords. I started messing around with the guitar when I was about 12 years old. Now, like you, I am at an advanced age which I find is not helping my playing these days. My brain tells my fingers what to do but my fingers seem to have a mind of their own and pay no attention. I even think my own middle finger flicks at me from time-to-time. It thinks I don't see it, but I do, lol.
I'll try to have something for you by tomorrow some time.

Gary W
04-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Give this a try. For the most part it is in the ballpark. These are the chords that sound nice to me as I play along on my old guitar. There are some good on-line places where you can look up mandolin chord positions. I included a link to one of them.
I'll play this really nice song again in a day or two and if I make any changes I'll edit the chords.

The song can be heard at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ommmbmh61lQ

Bluegrass State Of Mind - Billy Ray Cyrus

[Cmaj9] for guitar is X20010

For mandolin here are some ways to play Cmaj9: http://mandolinchords.net/chords/root/c/maj9/

[G]/// /// /// ///
[G]/// /// /// ///

[G] I'm dreaming tonight of a hollow with a clear mountain [C] stream /// /// /// ///
A [D] cabin with a window on a hillside where I used to [G] dream /// /// [D]/// [D7]///
The [G] moonlight at midnight made heaven seem so close to [C] home /// /// /// ///
And it [D] gave me the only real peacefulness I've ever [G] known /// /// [D]///

And I'm in a [G] blue-[D]-uuu-[G]-uuu-grass [D] state of [C] mind /// [Cmaj9]/// [Am]/// ///
And [D] I miss that Kentucky girl that I left be-[G]-hind /// /// [D]/// [D7]///
[G] Hearts like the [D] ones in my [Em] homeplace are [D] so hard to [C] find /// [Cmaj9]/// [Am]///
I'm in a [D] blue-[C]-uuu-[Cmaj9]-uuu-grass [Am] state of [G] mind /// /// [D]/// [D7]///

[G]/// [D]/// [Em]/// [D]/// [C]/// [Cmaj9]/// [Am]/// ///
[D]/// [C]/// [Cmaj9]/// [Am]/// [G]/// /// [D]////...

She had the [G] eyes of an angel and the heart of a great thorough-[C]-bred /// /// /// ///
With [D] visions of a good loving man dancing around in her [G] head /// /// [D]/// [D7]///
And [G] I was the one that she graced with her beautiful [C] love /// /// /// ///
Now [D] I am the one left to wonder who she's dreaming [G] of /// /// [D]///

And I'm in a [G] blue-[D]-uuu-[G]-uuu-grass [D] state of [C] mind /// [Cmaj9]/// [Am]/// ///
And [D] I miss that Kentucky girl that I left be-[G]-hind /// /// [D]/// [D7]///
[G] Hearts like the [D] ones in my [Em] homeplace are [D] so hard to [C] find /// [Cmaj9]/// [Am]///
I'm in a [D] blue-[C]-uuu-[Cmaj9]-uuu-grass [Am] state of [G] mind /// /// ///

I'm in a [D] blue-[C]-uuu-[Cmaj9]-uuu-grass [D] state of [C] minnnnnnnnnn-[G]-nd