PDA

View Full Version : moe bandy ( it took a lot of drinking)

joe the wrangler
05-07-2012, 01:21 AM
I would like to get the chord progression in the key of ' D '

Gary W
05-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Give this a try. I'm not sure if all the words are correct... I wrote them down from the youtube video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9y6L4SjZu0

He is doing it in the key of G. I am showing it with Capo on 5th fret so I can show the D-chord progression that you want. That way you can play along with the video. If you want to sing it yourself in the key of D, just take the capo off, of course.

It Took A Lot of Drinking – Moe Bandy

Capo 5th fret

[D] Whiskey nights and [Bm] jukebox lights and [G] honky-tonkin’ friends
And [A] hangin’ out from dusk till dawn and [G] softly sleepin’ [D] in
[D] Lies were told, life [Bm] took it’s toll and [G] brought love to it’s knees
But it took a lot of [D] drinkin’ to get that [A] woman over [D] me

She [A] never turned a [G] bottle up and I [D] never turned one down
She gave [E] me a thousand chances but I [G] took them all down [A] town
It [D] broke her heart, tore [Bm] her apart, to [G] make me a memory
But it took a lot of [D] drinkin’ to get that [A] woman over [D] me // // // //

[D]// // [Bm]// // [G]// // // //
[G]// // [D]// // [A]// // [D]// // // //

[D] She tried love, then [Bm] she got tough, but [G] nothing changed my mind
The [A] bottle was my weakness, I was [G] livin’ whiskey [D] time
Now it’s too late and [Bm] my heart’s payin’ for the [G] things I should have seen

She [A] never turned a [G] bottle up and I [D] never turned one down
She gave [E] me a thousand chances but I [G] took them all down [A] town
It [D] broke her heart, tore [Bm] her apart, to [G] make me a memory
Yes, it [G] took a lot of [D] drinkin’ to get that [A] woman over [G] meeeee-[D]-e

joe the wrangler
05-08-2012, 11:12 AM
thank you so much for your quick reply. now I can show my buddy that I was doing it right all along (:

joe the wrangler
06-01-2012, 02:35 AM
Hi gary; my buddy was over this afternoon to put my pontoon boat in the water ( as we live along a river) and then we jammed for about four hours. we tried that mo Bandy song again and he agreed the chords were right but it sounds better in the key of G because you step down from G to E minor whereas when we do it in D it doesn't sound right from D to B minor but he fixed that by stepping up to the B minor in a different way; as I said before he is a great picker ; and I am basically a chord playing fella ( not apolyagising just saying ) so now when he backs me up it sounds much better.

Gary W
06-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Hey Joe,
I hope you bet a beer or two on the chords. The G to Em always sounds good!
I just turned 65 a short while ago and, unfortunately, my old fingers are arthritic now so I can't pick as well as I did when I was a young fella, although I really wasn't that great back then. My old ears, however, are pretty good at hearing the chords in a song.
Here is a little bit of picking you might enjoy (or not... lol). I did this last year while teaching my nephew's kid a few things on the guitar. The video says it all. NOTE: The sound doesn't start until the dancing starts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGFjdn7eXrk

gary
06-02-2012, 02:18 AM
Gary , You totally amaze me. God has given you a wonderful gift and your willingness to share and give to others. I would have given up along time ago if not for you. Maybe some day we will cast a few flys together.
gary

Gary W
06-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Thanks very much gary!!! I really appreciate your nice words.

joe the wrangler
06-04-2012, 02:23 AM
sounds really really good especially with the arthritus going on; we come from the same era ;Ill be 65 in August.

Gary W
06-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks Joe. I guess Arth Ritus and I will be a duo from now on.
The big 65 eh! It gets here fast doesn't it!

Gary & Joe:
Here is another little tune that Arth and I did this morning. I was having a coffee and decided to plug my acoustic-electric in and do a bit of easy strumming to exercise my fingers. I think I hear bits of Beautiful, Beautiful Brown Eyes at a few places.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpskqbc0SBY&feature=youtu.be

gary
06-05-2012, 01:50 AM
Really nice Gary, Speaking of Arth , He's been hanging around my house for quite now. I turned 68 in April. Which makes this ole slide guitar a bit more interesting. Ive learned a lot of songs and the left hand is pretty happy

joe the wrangler
06-05-2012, 02:18 AM
sounds very sweet. you can hear the blue eyes somewhat but then there are only so many notes in a scale. so many songs can sound similar. makes you wonder how you can come up with a new tune especially since we can have 1000 songs or more in our heads over a lifetime of singing and playing.

joe the wrangler
06-09-2012, 08:32 PM
I meant beautiful brown eyes of course not to be conscrued with Willies ' renditition of blue eyes crying in the rain; another timely classic.

Gary W
06-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Gary, I am also an April baby, lol. We were born the same month and given the same name, lol.

Joe, You are correct about song possibilities. I believe music is sort of like chess in that the variation in the chess moves and songs are both infinite.
I am not a singer but I have been messing around with it lately. Here is one of my favorite songs that was written as a tribute to Nova Scotia coal miners. This song applies to all coal miners wherever they may be. I did this while having coffee this morning.
It is called "Workin' Man", not to be confused with Merle Haggard's "Workin' Man Blues".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XgHsfiGjKU&feature=youtu.be

sparky
06-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Gary W
Workin' Man" very good for a guy that says he is not a singer you done a mighty good job on this one I downloaded it in my library .

Gary W
06-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Thanks sparky! I appreciate that.
I'm just doing another favorite of mine that I bet you have never heard.
It's called "Old Zeb". I'll put in on a new post. After all, Joe started this concerning Moe Bandy.